Frequently Asked Questions

If the answer to your question is not here please contact us, we would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

I need help now, what should I do?

Please visit our Crisis page for information.

How do I make an appointment?

Just visit our Appointments page and select your preferred campus.

What is a Student Support Advisor?

A Student Support Advisor (SSA) is the staff member you will meet for your first appointment. The SSA will work out whether an appointment with a counsellor is your best option. They may suggest other options such as visiting another service on campus, going to a GP or a service in the community that will be able to help.

I have never been to counselling, what is it all about?

Counselling sessions provide you with a supportive and safe environment to discuss issues and difficulties you may be facing. We offer short-term solution focused outcomes to help you overcome barriers to your educational success and personal wellbeing.

Counsellors work with you in a non-judgmental way, respect your values and lifestyle choices, and genuinely want to help you build a healthy wellbeing.

I just need a bit of help, can I still attend?

Of course. You may be feeling stressed (which is quite common for university students) or need some help learning some new skills such as time management or concentration strategies, mindfulness or ways to deal with exam anxiety. You could seek advice from a Student Support Advisor, who can discuss some options with you. We also run workshops throughout the year, so keep an eye on our website for details.

How much does it cost?

Counselling services at UON are free.

How long does it take?

Your first appointment with an SSA will take about 30 minutes, counselling sessions are generally longer and likely to be around 45-60minutes.

I don’t want to talk to anyone, can I get some information instead?

Certainly, you can explore our website and online counsellor blog. Also you could drop into Counselling reception and collect some ‘tip sheets’ and information about alternative services.

Do I have to be on campus to get help?

No, you can access our online counsellor by visiting the online counsellor page.

Can I bring a support person with me?

You are welcome to bring a family member or friend as a support. Sometimes bringing a support person may make you feel more comfortable (we don’t offer family or couples counselling).

Will I need an interpreter?

If it is more beneficial to you an interpreter may be arranged. Please check with your SSA or Counsellor.

Do I need to bring anything to the appointment?

We collect your student number and contact details, also if you have any documentation or correspondence relevant to the appointment you could bring that along. Your information is kept private and confidential.

Are you open during breaks and recess?

We are open all year, except public holidays and the university close down period over Christmas.

The material or views expressed on this Blog are those of the author and do not represent those of the University.  Please report any offensive or improper use of this Blog to
Skip to toolbar