Dr Meg Sherval Awarded Fellowship

2 Feb

small megDr Meg Sherval from the School of Environment and Life Sciences has been awarded the 2016 Visiting Academic Women’s Fellowship to St Mary’s College at Durham University. She is only the 4th recipient of this highly competitive award since it began in 2012.

Dr Sherval will be working with their Department of Geography for 6 months (ranked 4th in the World) with scholars from Department’s Culture-Economy-Life research cluster, including Professor Gavin Bridge.

Her research will focus on how women from local communities affected by the expansion of the mining industry are becoming active stake-holders in discussions with governments and corporations about their future and the survival of their towns and communities.

“I was completely shocked when I heard … I honestly thought that I didn’t stand a chance against so many other talented academic candidates from around the globe who had applied. The work will really assist in furthering my academic reputation and in developing research collaborations internationally,” Dr Sherval said.

Original article from: Micro-byte Faculty of Science and IT eNews