Friction(s) in movement: decolonising urban anti-capitalist politics

10 Nov

Human Geography PhD candidate Lara Daley recently gave a progress seminar on her research into urban anti-capitalist politics. Lara is exploring the frictions between anti-capitalist protests at the G20 summit in Brisbane. An abstract of her research is below.

“Global economic summits, like the G20, have a history of being points of convergence for anti-capitalist politics. However, rather than just the one convergence, the 2014 G20 Leaders’ Meeting in Brisbane was countered by two intersecting political gatherings: The Peoples’ Convergence and the Indigenous-led Decolonisation before Profit gathering. Indigenous activists throughout the week of the G20 clearly situated themselves and their struggles within a ‘colonial power structure’, whilst the Peoples Convergence positioned decolonisation among the myriad social justice issues to be addressed.

My research project aims to rethink urban anti-capitalist politics, in Australia, in light of the multiple frictions of the G20 moment, and in a way which foregrounds decolonisation. In doing so, my research reflects an understanding of urban struggles, both Indigenous and non-Indigenous, as situated within contemporary as much as historical processes of colonisation. In my progress seminar I will discuss the research aims, methodology, key theoretical and political perspectives as well as outline the shape my thesis is taking. I will also discuss some of the claims I will be working through in the writing and provide a plan for the timely completion of my project.”