Mirror Mirror on the Wall

Does anyone else ever catch their reflection in a mirror or a glass shop front and think “Is that really what I look like?” or find themselves wondering why the clothes never look as good on them as they do the models who advertise them? I do and yes before you ask I often feel like I should make more of an effort with my physical appearance because I don’t conform to the norm I see on TV. But truth be told I’m happy with how I look (well mostly anyway).

I don’t find myself worrying about my shape or appearance frequently. I don’t day dream about or investigate how to alter parts of my body cosmetically, or through hard work at the gym. I don’t obsess about what I’m wearing before I leave the house each day (although I do for special occasions). I accept that there are aspects of my body I can’t change. For instance I am never going to be taller, and I won’t have high cheekbones and my thighs will always be more muscular than most females – I’ll thank my dad for that genetic gem!

But if you do find yourself wanting to change these impossibilities, spending wasted time worrying about your body image or missing out on fun things because of your obsession with your appearance you might want to talk to someone about it. Or alternatively check out some tips on how you can improve your perception of yourself:

1. Start questioning the messages the media sends – don’t compare yourself to the models and celebrities who promote products.
  2. Give your body the praise it deserves and appreciate the functions it serves.
  3. Chose what media influence you allow in your life and how much of an influence it will be
  4. Find your own individual style rather than that you see in the media
  5. Treat others how you want to be treated and stop judging them by appearance
  6. Don’t over regulate your food through fad diets, listen to your body and eat what makes you feel energised and awake.

People often assume that it’s only females who have poor perceptions of their bodies but increasing numbers of men are also struggling with the media projected images of what attractive is. So male or female if you are wasting valuable study or socialising time worrying about what you look like it might be time to reach out and ask for some help.

About the author

The material or views expressed on this Blog are those of the author and do not represent those of the University.  Please report any offensive or improper use of this Blog to RPS@newcastle.edu.au.
%d bloggers like this:
Skip to toolbar