The end of the road

Guest Blogger: Jacqui Sorensen*

In a couple of weeks I will celebrate a milestone which I sometimes doubted I would ever reach…My Graduation! After completing close to 3 years of a four year degree before changing to another 4 year degree (with barely any credit of course!), it has been a long road. Throw in a semester of study at a university in Denmark, travel, getting married and having a beautiful baby – it truly feels like I have been studying forever. Whilst completing my psychology honours thesis this year, I lost count of the amount of times people said to me “you are so close”. I am sure they were channelling helpful and positive vibes but to the ‘close to graduating’ uni student, a couple of months is akin to a lifetime when you have a bazillion words to write and next to no time and motivation to do so!

I am super fortunate to have been working in my chosen industry for a number of years but I know that for many of my peers, graduating can be scary because it means finding a job. Worries about employability and if there is even a job in your chosen career is completely normal and something most graduates experiences at some point. The careers service here at the uni is a great resource for support around work after graduation. You can access this service as an Alumni at any point in your future. The UON is proud to have you as a graduate and they are invested in helping you take the step into paid employment.

Some thoughts or worry about the future and employment is normal. If you find yourself excessively worried or distressed you can seek support here at the university, online or through someone in the community.

A huge congrats to everyone for another semester done with a special congrats going out to those students graduating soon! What an achievement!

*Jacqui is a Student Support Advisor with Student Care and Equity. She recently completed her undergraduate degree in Psychology and has been offering the day time Skype drop-ins here over the past month.

About the author

Provide your thoughts

The material or views expressed on this Blog are those of the author and do not represent those of the University.  Please report any offensive or improper use of this Blog to RPS@newcastle.edu.au.
Skip to toolbar