Looking for support…

It’s that time of year again when we prepare to start semester 1. For all those who have just accepted an offer and will start their studies this year, welcome. For those who will be continuing welcome back. I thought I might take the opportunity before semester officially starts to put together a post on what services are available for students here at UON.


In addition to the online services (which you are using right now – take a look around) there are also face-to-face counselling options. Professional counselling services are available to students, to offer strategies and support to assist students to reach their personal and academic potential.

Disability Support

Offer practical assistance and advice to students with a permanent or temporary disability or medical condition. They can help you if you are having difficulties with your studies due to the effects of your disability. You need to register with the Disability Support Service and provide appropriate documentation.

Health Service

We provide medical centres staffed by doctors and nurses at our Newcastle (Callaghan) and Central Coast (Ourimbah) campuses. Our medical centres are similar to a general doctor’s surgery and are open to both university students and staff. We are happy to see you about any issue that concerns. All consultations are strictly confidential. Patients covered by Medicare are bulk billed. International students may be covered for medical services depending on your health cover.

Financial Assistance

There are options to help you cover the costs of study while at UON. You can make an appointment with a student support advisor to discuss scholarships, Higher Education Loan Program, student loans and hardship grants and income assistance options.


Our career services and resources have been designed to assist you in developing the capacity to achieve your career goals. Whether it is gaining part time work while you study or clarifying your longer term goals and connecting with industry, there is a service or resource that will fit your current career needs.


There are chaplains at both the Newcastle and Central Coast campuses, which offer compassionate help in all situations and support the spiritual life of the University. Things they help students with include pastoral care, life decisions, conflict resolution and general spiritual guidance. They also offer Justice of the Peace services.

Student Support Advisors

There are a few different types of Student Support Advisors. Some are part of the Student Advice Team and are located in the Student Hubs on Callaghan campus. They are here to answer your questions and to help you access the support that is available at UON. They can work with you to create an individualised plan aimed at helping you to succeed in your studies, or provide direction on your enrolment pattern and progression, or put you in touch with your Program Advisor if you need specialist program advice and support.

There are also Student Support Advisors (Health and Welfare) offer 30 minute appointments to help you identify what support services are available to assist both at UON and also within the local community.

Accommodation Assistance

We have a website and staff member who can help you with assistance finding and advice about off campus accommodation and rental agreements.

Or if you are interested in on campus accommodation then you can get more information from the Student Living Support Team.

Legal Advice

What more is there to say other than UON offer a free legal service for students and members of the community? Pop-up clinics and appointments are available to help with advice and additional services may also be offered when appropriate.



About the author

The material or views expressed on this Blog are those of the author and do not represent those of the University.  Please report any offensive or improper use of this Blog to RPS@newcastle.edu.au.
%d bloggers like this:
Skip to toolbar