Am I OK day?

RUOK

This Thursday is RUOk day. This National awareness day targeting suicide prevention, was co-founded in 2009 by Gavin Larkin who experienced the suicide of his father years before. The day urges people to meaningfully ask someone, R U OK? On the website Gavin says “getting connected and staying connected is the best thing anyone can do for themselves and for those who may be at risk”.

I think this is such a valuable message. It did get me thinking though about how often we meaningfully check-in with ourselves. I spend most of my time checking-in to see how other people are doing (hazard of the job!!) but I rarely take the time to do the same for myself.

As an experiment I thought I would take the time to ask myself, Am I OK?  I asked meaningfully (this felt a little silly at first) and really thought about how I am feeling. I discovered I am ok in some areas and not so ok in others. I am enjoying new challenges at work and loving family life but have been feeling a bit blah due to a recent injury. Before asking myself Am I Ok, I wasn’t consciously aware of how much impact not being able to do my normal exercise routine was having on my psychological and emotional well-being. Being aware of this prompted me to find an alternate exercise routine and amazingly the blah feeling improved almost instantly!

Tomorrow is RUOK Day. Maybe today can be Am I OK day.  Ask yourself, how am I feeling physically? Am I eating well, do I need more sleep, have I had a health check recently? How am I feeling emotionally? Have I been feeling more down than usual lately, am I in a constant state of stress, do I need to connect with some form of support? How am I feeling mentally (Different from am I feeling mental)?  Is my brain fried from Uni, are there some thoughts that have been bothering me? How am I functioning in my relationships? Am I feeling connected to others, do I feel safe in my relationships, who can I reach out to when things get tough?  Ask yourselves some questions like this and see if the answers surprise you.

If you discover you need a boost in a particular area there are lots of people you can connect with for support.  A GP, the Student Support Advisors here at the uni or family and friends are a great place to start.  Plus, you can check out the online counselling website for tips, resources and details of how to connect with an online counsellor.  Today ask yourself am I OK and tomorrow, connect with someone else by asking, RUOK?

About the author

Provide your thoughts

The material or views expressed on this Blog are those of the author and do not represent those of the University.  Please report any offensive or improper use of this Blog to RPS@newcastle.edu.au.
Skip to toolbar