Managing Cravings

Well, it’s day 1 of my febfast challenge – no chocolate icing for me!

I am doing great so far, however I am aware that I am at work and my icing ingestion usually occurs at home.  So, I thought it would be a good idea to have some strategies ready to manage any icing cravings that do arrive after dinner tonight.

1. Remove or avoid temptation – I ate the last of the temptation in my house yesterday!
  2. Stay connected and accountable – I have told my family (and everyone reading this) what I am doing, this way if I ask my husband to go down the road to get me a tub of Betty Crocker Chocolate Icing, he will say no and give me a hug to help with the disappointment
  3. Plan a substitution or distraction – I am going to have a bottle of water with me tonight and plan on reading my new book
  4. Surf the urge – think of a craving as a wave, it will peak then eventually go down
  5. Use relaxation or grounding strategies – these are great for taking your mind off cravings and lowering those stress levels – my favourite is focusing on my breath (5 deep breaths and I notice a significant calming effect)
  6. Exercise – getting moving does wonders for mood, stress and cravings – I am going to up my yoga classes this month as I know it will help

These strategies can be used for any type of craving.  If you have any other other useful strategies, please let us know! Don’t forget you can support me, and a worthy cause by donating here.

About the author

The material or views expressed on this Blog are those of the author and do not represent those of the University.  Please report any offensive or improper use of this Blog to RPS@newcastle.edu.au.
%d bloggers like this:
Skip to toolbar