I am woman hear me roar….

I’m sure it hasn’t escaped anyone’s attention that this week we celebrated International Women’s Day. As a result my social media streams were filled with a range of posts both celebrating the power and strength of women but also highlighting the inequalities when compared to men in society. There were also posts highlighting the vulnerability of women with statistics of domestic violence rates and sexual assault incidences.

What I loved about all these diverse posts is that they all came together and did one thing…. they spoke aloud of women. They made sure that no issue was left alone for fear of the stigma and shame associated with it. They all encouraged conversation about the great and not so great parts about being a woman in today’s world. They highlight the growth of our society. Compared to being a woman in the 50’s we have come a long way. We are no longer aiming to be the perfect housewife, instead we are aiming to be doctors, engineers, professional athletes and so many more professions.

We have a long way still to come but this week we have been open about the good and the bad. We have not hidden the bad but shone a light on the path we have yet to travel.

About the author

The material or views expressed on this Blog are those of the author and do not represent those of the University.  Please report any offensive or improper use of this Blog to RPS@newcastle.edu.au.
Skip to toolbar