The Giving Game:

The Giving Game is an exercise in which 6 Create and Performing Arts students come together discuss how they can effectively split up $1000 to 4 different Non Government Organizations (NGOs) which were, Cambodian Living Arts (CLA), Empowering Youth Cambodia (EYC), Seva Foundation (SF) and Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals (KBCH). Each organization is worthy of the money but the point of the exercise is to think about effective altruism when deciding to split the money. They is one more important rule of the game. One organization must receive $500 or more when splitting the money up. Personally this rule threw the spanner in the works for my plans.

When I went about it, I tried my best to remove to connection with CLA and think objectively for all four organisations. My starting statements were;

$500 to Seva Foundation

$300 to Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals

$100 to Cambodian Living Arts

$100 to Empowering Youth Cambodia

When splitting up the money the first thought was, you can’t have arts without people. So I decided to put health organisations over arts. From that I researched both health organisations SF and KBCH and looked at the history for the organizations, how they use their many and how it was effective in along term mind frame.

Focusing on SF first, this organization has been around since 1978 aiming to preserve and restore sight and to create a world free of avoidable blindness. Personally I think that’s a good cause, secondly I looked their financial information. Whilst researching I discovered that 87% of money they receive goes towards program services, 8% to fundraising and 5% to management and general. Thinking about these numbers I believed that, that was a good ratio of administration to program services. Moving to the effective altruism and at a long-term frame of mind, Seva Foundation is fighting avoidable blindness in more than 20 countries and providing training to the local people.

At the end of the game, we decided to give the majority $500 to Seva Foundation. In the end, I loved playing this game, researching and discussing why I chose the organisations I was a learning experience that I will have for the rest of my life. Coming back home its made me think a lot more what I have in a really different light. Big thank you to Dr. Catherine Grant for putting creating the game and pushing us to research more about effective altruism.

1 Comment

1. Thanks for this post on the Giving Game, Chris. Our final debate was surprising, rich, well-informed, and thought-provoking (for me too). I’m glad if it got us all thinking some more about the concept of “effective altruism”, as Peter Singer calls it. Thanks for your involvement!

Reply